Re: [K12OSN] Blade Server for LTSP?

On 12/03/07, Jim Kronebusch <jim winonacotter org> wrote:
No, but I did contact Dell.  From my gathering if someone wants to build the
ultimate LTSP cluster, these are the ticket.  However not cost effective
unless you populate the chassis with at least 7 blades (takes a while to cover
the cost of the chassis, and they'll hold 10 blades).
[SNIP]
I could consolidate my whole head end into a single 7U chassis, very cool.
And since /home, LDAP and application serving would only happen at the
backplane level I am sure it would alleviate network congestion and speed
things up.

But I have a handful of servers and a PowerVault 220s already, not sure I can
justify the cost.  But it sure would be my choice at this point for a
completely new setup.

If ever you do get budget it would be interesting to come up with some
metrics to see how much more traffic / concurrent login's this setup
will handle without nreaking in to sweat. Will watch this psce for
implementation.

One point though...Is it really necessary to have LDAP and mail on a
different blade? With even 5000 accounts (let alone 500) mail should
not put very heavy load?
--
Regards,
Sudev Barar