[K12OSN] electricity use

Doug Simpson veewee77 at alltel.net
Wed Mar 14 02:28:03 UTC 2007

The fact that they say that many computers use too much electricity,
look around their offices and see how many of their computers are left
on 24/7. That is 2/3 wasted electricity.

Now, if you go to terminal services (with LTSP or whatever) you won't
need hard drives so those 20 computers will use less energy anyway.
Could be as much as 15% to 20% less energy than the fat ones in the
offices.

Also, look around the buildings and see how many unoccupied rooms
throughout the day are left with the lights on.

When the students are at lunch, for example, look at those classrooms
burning electricity for no reason.

Help them to realize that comuters are not the only thing that uses a
lot of electricity.

If the computers you have in your room do not trip the breakers, and the
breakers have NOT be compromised, there is no worry of how many there are.
Just make sure you don't use inferior power cords and strips and that
you do not overload any strips or other eguipment.
One computer per circuit is rediculous! I have been in MANY highly rated
computer labs and have NEVER seen in any of them, one computer per circuit.
I do not condone loading that circuit until it trips the breaker because
that is hazardous.  Get your maintenance man to use his clamp-on ammeter
on your circuit when you have those computers on and see how much power
they use.  Then remove the hard drives. . .

JMHO-YMMV

Doug