[K12OSN] XHost

A while back I noticed that I couldn't open gui apps though vnc. I used the following hack in my /etc/profile to make it work temporarily and then went about my business. Recently, I read in the fl_teachertool doc that it is bad practice to do this. Anybody have a better (more secure) means to the same end? I am using k12ltsp5. This is what I had:

xhost +public ip address
xhost +private ip address