Re: [K12OSN] Upgrading from k12ltsp5 to 6

The only difference, really, between ver. 5 and ver. 6 is the version of Fedora underneath. There isn't really any significant difference in the LTSP parts, as both versions of K12LTSP incorporate verion 4.2 of LTSP. So, your users won't see any benefit. Considering the risk and potential downtime, I don't think this is the time to change a production system.

Now, just to make things interesting, betas of version 7, based on Fedora 7, is due out sometime in the next few months. So, the real question becomes, come fall, do you want to be using version 7, which will be brand new and will be a significant overhaul in the LTSP parts; or do you want to go with tried & true and stick with version 6? Deciding whether to use version 5 or 6 is fairly easy since they are similar--there are some differences, e.g., getting afpfs working is much easier with version 6--but they're narrow, not affecting most sites. Sound should be better in version 7, but that remains to be seen.

Petre

Joe Korzeniewski wrote:
I guess I still have a little bit of M$ upgrade fever left in my system. I always like playing with the new features of the latest version. If there isn't a significant advantage in upgrading right now I will take your advice and hold off until I can do a new clean install. Many times on my desktop systems (linux) you just click upgrade and you have the latest OS with no strings attached (servers can be a different story sometimes though). I was just wondering if anybody had nice clean upgrades to talk about or if it was more of a chore than it is worth. Thanks for your insight.
peter scheie homedns org 03/14/07 10:20 am >>>
Why do you want/need to upgrade now? There's not a whole lot of difference, from a user perspective, from version 5 to version 6. Considering that there are only three months of school left, I would wait until summer and then do a new install of version 6. If you need to, tar up /home and save it on another machine or some other media like a CD, etc., and then restore it once you have the new version installed. Upgrading is posssible, in theory, but there always seem to be lingering problems, such that I just do new installs any more.

Petre

Joe Korzeniewski wrote:
I know that I am a little late for the party here, but I have decided that I need to upgrade to 6. Is there anything I need to know before I do this? Are any changes going to overwrite anything in the /tftpboot folder (I have put a ton of other pxe images in there for misc stuff)? Do I need to back up and restore my named.conf and lts.conf? Do I need to download the cd's or can I use yum and if so, what command do I use? If anybody who has made the switch can give me some advice or things to plan / look out for it would be greatly appreciated.

-- This message has been scanned for viruses and
believed to be clean.