[K12OSN] Upgrading from k12ltsp5 to 6

Joe Korzeniewski jkorz at mceschools.com
Wed Mar 14 16:28:13 UTC 2007

What I am really excited for is LTSP 5 with the more robust local app support. Is that what is in store for 7? Either way I will most likely go with the latest version. This year I only have a couple TC's running just to get some key teachers used to it and liking it better than their old imacs. During our rollout over the summer I should have plenty of time to get the kinks worked out provided that 7 is released by the time I start. I do want to try out edubuntu though, I have been hearing some good things about that. The one harsh reality is that it lacks the polish that K12ltsp has developed over the years. I am just more comfortable with the debian way than RH I guess.

-Joe

>>> peter at scheie.homedns.org 03/14/07 10:39 am >>>
The only difference, really, between ver. 5 and ver. 6 is the version of
Fedora underneath.  There isn't really any significant difference in the
LTSP parts, as both versions of K12LTSP incorporate verion 4.2 of LTSP.
  So, your users won't see any benefit.  Considering the risk and
potential downtime, I don't think this is the time to change a
production system.

Now, just to make things interesting, betas of version 7, based on
Fedora 7, is due out sometime in the next few months.  So, the real
question becomes, come fall, do you want to be using version 7, which
will be brand new and will be a significant overhaul in the LTSP parts;
or do you want to go with tried & true and stick with version 6?
Deciding whether to use version 5 or 6 is fairly easy since they are
similar-- there are some differences, e.g., getting afpfs working is much
easier with version 6-- but they're narrow, not affecting most sites.
Sound should be better in version 7, but that remains to be seen.

Petre