[K12OSN] united streaming and mplayerplug-in: recipe

Nils Breunese nils at breun.nl
Wed Mar 14 15:38:43 UTC 2007

William Fragakis wrote:

> Frankly, I don't really have intelligent answers to most of your
> questions. The only thing I can tell you and what inspired me to try
> this is that if you choose "sdl" as the audio option in mplayer,
> a) it works (which was the first hint)
>
> b) it was really late and I was too lazy to compile my own mplayer or
> plugin
>
> c) it uses the sdl:esd option for the audio driver in the config file.
> Seeing the esd portion of that and the comment in the config file that
> using the sdl option meant using the esd sub-driver prompted me to try
> that route.
>
> # Use SDL audio driver with the esd subdriver by default.
> ao = sdl:esd
>
> I was surprised it worked because running
> mplayer -ao help to list the available drivers didn't show esd,
> only sdl
>
> If I had to speculate from what I can gather from the libsdl.org home
> page in only a cursory reading, sdl provides a conduit for esd
>
> http://www.libsdl.org/intro.en/usingsound.html
>
> Perhaps the more learned among us can help you further.

I know SDL is a library used to build games. Their homepage says:

"Simple DirectMedia Layer is a cross-platform multimedia library
designed to provide low level access to audio, keyboard, mouse,
joystick, 3D hardware via OpenGL, and 2D video framebuffer. It is
used by MPEG playback software, emulators, and many popular games,
including the award winning Linux port of "Civilization: Call To Power."

But I guess it also can be used to get your audio in mplayer to
work. :o)

Nils Breunese.