Re: [K12OSN] united streaming and mplayerplug-in: recipe

William Fragakis wrote:

Frankly, I don't really have intelligent answers to most of your
questions. The only thing I can tell you and what inspired me to try
this is that if you choose "sdl" as the audio option in mplayer,
a) it works (which was the first hint)

b) it was really late and I was too lazy to compile my own mplayer or
plugin

c) it uses the sdl:esd option for the audio driver in the config file.
Seeing the esd portion of that and the comment in the config file that
using the sdl option meant using the esd sub-driver prompted me to try
that route.

# Use SDL audio driver with the esd subdriver by default.
ao = sdl:esd

I was surprised it worked because running
mplayer -ao help to list the available drivers didn't show esd, only sdl

If I had to speculate from what I can gather from the libsdl.org home
page in only a cursory reading, sdl provides a conduit for esd

http://www.libsdl.org/intro.en/usingsound.html

Perhaps the more learned among us can help you further.

I know SDL is a library used to build games. Their homepage says:

"Simple DirectMedia Layer is a cross-platform multimedia library designed to provide low level access to audio, keyboard, mouse, joystick, 3D hardware via OpenGL, and 2D video framebuffer. It is used by MPEG playback software, emulators, and many popular games, including the award winning Linux port of "Civilization: Call To Power."

But I guess it also can be used to get your audio in mplayer to work. :o)

Nils Breunese.