[K12OSN] USB Files Don't Display

k12ltsp k12ltsp at hermon.net
Wed Mar 14 20:41:17 UTC 2007

Hi everyone,

We are having a strange issue with USB files not displaying when students
bring in their Thumbdrives and connect it to the terminals. It stopped
working as of March, leaving me to suspect that an update caused the issue.

The behavior is strange. When a student connects a thumbdrive into the
terminal, it actually mounts! However, they can't see any of the contents
that are presently on the drive.

Here's the strange part, they can actually write to the thumbdrive,
meaning, create new files and save them. Files created when mounted to the
terminal will become visible again if the thumbdrive is unplugged and
plugged back in. HOWEVER, as explaned above, any files that have been
written on the thumbdrive elsewhere are NOT visible.

This makes it hard for students to bring in their homework created on
their personal machines into the school.

I have gone through the troubleshooting steps using the USB wiki on the
LTSP website, and couldn't pass Step 4. Perhaps our problem is here? How
can I get the workstation to know the hostname?

Step 1: Disable X.

N/A. Have shell loaded on second screen. Switched to second screen.

Step 2: Determine Version Number.

Output is 4.2 Update 3.

Step 3:

On workstation, lbuscd confirmed running. /tmp/drives/ shows a folder
representing the thumbdrive inside.

Step 4:

hostname returns the output = (none). I suspect this may be our problem. I
have however followed the steps in the installation section by adding the
line "get-lease-hostnames         true;" to the dhcpd-k12ltsp.conf file,
but it made no difference after restarting dhcpd and rebooting the
terminal. The dhcpd-k12ltsp.conf file at the part where I entered this
line is below.

get-lease-hostnames         true;

shared-network WORKSTATIONS {
  subnet 192.168.0.0 netmask 255.255.255.0 {
     range dynamic-bootp 192.168.0.100 192.168.0.253;
     use-host-decl-names       on;
     option log-servers        192.168.0.254;
     get-lease-hostnames         true;