Re: [K12OSN] electricity use

On Wed, 14 Mar 2007, Olle Niit wrote:

It's not a right calculation at all.

I have server at homeoffice with 500w power supply.
It's AMD Sempron 3000+ socket 754
ram 512MB DDR400
NEC DVD-RW
HDD 400GB ATA100 and HDD 400GB  SATA software mirroring
2 netcards ( 1 onoard and 1 extra)
1 extra cooling fan for HDD-s
Linux E-Smith 7.5
I have APC PackUPS RS800, it tells that average power required is 51Watts. Maximum I ever seen was 61watts, and at start time 71Watts.

The power problem, incidentally, is one of the reasons the OLPC is considered to be so crucial. Its power profile:

* 10 watts going full-bore (heavy networking, heavy display repaints)
* 3-6 watts typical usage
* <1 watt in e-book mode (scrolling only, monochrome display mode)

It might be very interesting to see if it's possible to join the server compute power of LTSP with the low-power OLPC client.

--g