[K12OSN] OT: Required use of IE by State DOE

Peter Scheie peter at scheie.homedns.org
Thu Mar 15 17:12:26 UTC 2007

You might mention the legislation pending in MN, CA, and TX, not to mention MA, which
requires all state agencies to standardize on Open Document Format (ODF).  Their purpose
is not to push MS applications out of gov't. Rather, the bills are recognition that a
state, for reasons of sovereignty, cannot and should not have its documents in a format
that is controlled by a private vendor.  It isn't that DE should adopt ODF (although
that would be good, too), but rather to point out that the trend is AWAY from
proprietary interfaces, to open vendor-neutral standards.  Then ask the question, why is
DE actively moving backwards in this area?

Petre (who can't seem to shutup about this topic, much to his wife's frustration)