Rép. : Re: [K12OSN] DST Changes?

Guy-Michel Lessard GLessard at cegepoutaouais.qc.ca
Thu Mar 15 19:30:17 UTC 2007

When you say zone info file, do you mean tzdata?
If so would this work:
cp /etc/localtime /etc/localtime.bk
cp ...tzdata /etc/localtime

Guy Lessard
Professeur CÉGEP de l'Outaouais
Gatineau, Québec
Canada

>>> Jim McQuillan <jam at mcquil.com> 2007-03-15 14:01:06 >>>

Shawn,

I had a similar problem with a RHEL3 machine.  I installed the tzdata
package, and the zdump command shown below worked, but the date still
didn't show right after the DST switch over on sunday.

I found the problem was the /etc/localtime

On some systems its a file that contains timezone info.  On other
systems it's a symlink to a file (in my case /usr/share/zoneinfo/EST5EDT).

when you run a command that gets the current time, like the 'date'
command, it looks at /etc/localtime.  if that file or link isn't
correct, it'll still report the wrong time.

So, either you need to re-point that symlink at the correct zoneinfo
file, or you need to copy the correct zoneinfo file on top of it.

save a copy of the original file tho.  And, there should be no problem
doing this while the system is running.

Jim McQuillan
jam at Ltsp.org