[K12OSN] Fastest file sharing method?

I am going to ask the knowledgeable  members of this list ... If I
have a choice of file sharing methods over my closed network (SMB,
NFS, SSHFS, etc.), which provides the fastest large-file transfers?

I have been using SMB because it was convenient, but I am finding the
transfers seem slow, even when mounted on the file system with CIFS.

Any suggestions are appreciated.

Dan