Re: [K12OSN] Kids shutting down Ubuntu LTSP server...how to prevent

On 16/03/07, David Trask <dtrask vcsvikings org> wrote:
I'm asking this question on behalf of someone who came to me for help.  I
believe he is running an Ubuntu server running LTSP  (not Edubuntu)....and
he tells me that the kids have discovered that they can sleep, hibernate,
or even shutdown the server via Gnome.  (I think)  I know there is a fix
out there, but cannot remember what it is...I'm assuming it's something in
GDM.  Can any of you help?

If you look at default shutdown command listing it shows :
sudev base:~$ ls -al /sbin/shutdown
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 23976 2006-05-23 16:10 /sbin/shutdown

I would chmod that to 750 Then only root or pepople with sudo right to
root will be able to shut down. SImilarly for sleep / hibernate.

HTH
--
Regards,
Sudev Barar