Re: [K12OSN] server won;t start

I reinstalled smbldap and the db config file was recreated. It seems
that when you delete the contents of /var/lib/ldap it deletes the db
config file and slapadd doesn't recreate it. So I made a copy of it to
copy back if I need to reset the system again.

I'll try restoring up with an older backup and if all else fails I
will try starting fresh and building my userbase again. I just need to
make sure that the numbers match the users. I only have my staff
members on at the moment (less than 10 users to sort out). The
students can be added later when things are working.

On 16/03/07, David Hopkins <dahopkins429 gmail com> wrote:
Off-list,  if you need an DB_CONFIG file, i can send mine to you tomorrow.

Dave ...

On 3/15/07, Krsnendu dasa < krsnendu108 gmail com> wrote:
> ldap restarts okay with this message.
>
> [root k12ltsp1 ~]# service ldap restart
> Stopping slapd:
 [  OK  ]
> Checking configuration files for slapd:  bdb_db_open: Warning - No
> DB_CONFIG file found in directory /var/lib/ldap: (2)
> Expect poor performance for suffix dc=harekrishna,dc=school,dc=nz.
> config file testing succeeded

 [  OK  ]
> Starting slapd:
 [  OK  ]
> [root k12ltsp1 ~]#
>

> I did interactive booting to fix ldap one reboot back. The restore
> script didn't work for me so I manually cleared out the ldap database
> and did slapadd. Maybe I have to do it again?
>
> On 16/03/07, Krsnendu dasa <krsnendu108 gmail com> wrote:
> > It made it to the log in screen. I can log in as root. When I log out
> > it takes a long time to come to the login screen again. I am still
> > waiting. I want to see if I can log in as a regular user.
> > On the clients dhcpd gives out the ip address but tftp only shows dots
> > and times out.
> >
> > On 16/03/07, David Hopkins < dahopkins429 gmail com> wrote:
> > > It sounds like you are having authentication issues with ldap.
> > >
> > > A couple of months ago there were some other very good suggestions on
> > > getting past this via booting to run level 3 (or 1, can't remember).
But at
> > > any rate, try and sort out the ldap issues.  Does ldap start?
> > > /etc/init.d/ldap restart
> > >
> > > If it is failing, then that is the issue.

Actually, try and create the DB_CONFIG file.  I am not  sure where this is
initially created, but perhaps the Openldap example would be a good start?

http://sapiens.wustl.edu/~sysmain/info/openldap/openldap_configure_bdb.html

Sincerely,
Dave Hopkins

 On 3/15/07, Krsnendu dasa <krsnendu108 gmail com> wrote:
> ldap restarts okay with this message.
>
> [root k12ltsp1 ~]# service ldap restart
> Stopping slapd:
 [  OK  ]
> Checking configuration files for slapd:  bdb_db_open: Warning - No
> DB_CONFIG file found in directory /var/lib/ldap: (2)
> Expect poor performance for suffix dc=harekrishna,dc=school,dc=nz.
> config file testing succeeded

 [  OK  ]
> Starting slapd:
 [  OK  ]