[K12OSN] securing wine

Jeremy White jwhite at codeweavers.com
Fri Mar 16 04:08:12 UTC 2007

>> someone downloads.  Right now, downloading a windows executable gets me
>> the option of "save to disk" or "run with wine".  I don't want the "run
>> with wine" option, and I don't want users to be able to double-click on
>> an exe.

That's just a mime handler option; it should be easy to change or mask.

I'm afraid I tend to know my way around the config files more than
the GUI, but if you sign in as root, you should be able to get to
a Mime type dialog, where you can configure that.  You may have to do it
both for the browser and for the OS in general.

Of course, that will just obfuscate things, rather than prevent Wine's use,
but it should be obfuscated enough to prevent most kids from giving it a go.

Cheers,

Jeremy