To: <k12osn redhat com>
Sent: Friday, March 16, 2007 12:56 PM
Subject: [K12OSN] Re: Kids shutting down Ubuntu LTSP server...how to prevent

On 16/03/07, David Trask <dtrask vcsvikings org> wrote:
> I'm asking this question on behalf of someone who came to me for help. > I > believe he is running an Ubuntu server running LTSP (not > Edubuntu)....and > he tells me that the kids have discovered that they can sleep, > hibernate, > or even shutdown the server via Gnome. (I think) I know there is a > fix > out there, but cannot remember what it is...I'm assuming it's something > in
> GDM.  Can any of you help?

If you look at default shutdown command listing it shows :
sudev base:~$ ls -al /sbin/shutdown
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 23976 2006-05-23 16:10 /sbin/shutdown

I would chmod that to 750 Then only root or pepople with sudo right to
root will be able to shut down. SImilarly for sleep / hibernate.

If you do wish to chmod the sleep/hibernate command away,
/usr/sbin/pmi is the file you want to chmod.

--matt

--
Open Source Software Engineering Consultant
http://majen.net/