Re: [K12OSN] OT: hard drives and magnets

Eric Brown wrote:
Hello all,

I'm currently running a recovery (unformatting) program on the disk so
I can see what the browser history and such were before the culling of
the drive.  The reason I want to make sure I'm on firm ground here is
that the student's mother is very difficult to deal with, and believes
anything her child tells her, unless there were 20 witnesses and a
video of any transgression.

Thanks,
Eric

Oh you have parents like that too? I thought that was only a west-coast thing :)

Magnets wipe out floppies pretty well..(ever used one of those 'curiously strong magnets'..fun stuff to show ppl how dumb floppy usage still is...but a HardDrive(I find that difficult to believe through all of the shielding and protection etc..)

On a side note, I did manage to lock myself out of my hotel room multiple times by putting the key-card in the same pocket as my cellphone...it wipes the card clean..but that is LOW BUDGET magnetic strips(and Myth Busters dispelled the "magnets wiping your credit card's magnetic strip" myth)...so suffice it to say I've got a 'deer in the headlight' look same as you :)

--Huck