[K12OSN] Me again :-) how do I globally remove icons from the desktop

Jim Kronebusch jim at winonacotter.org
Fri Mar 16 18:20:55 UTC 2007

On Fri, 16 Mar 2007 10:26:27 -0600, Jim Kronebusch wrote
> I want to run a command to globally remove the "Computer" icon from all users desktops
> to simplify things.  How do I do that?  Also I need to set the new default as
> well for this so that new users only get the icons I want them to.  I imagine
> new users default icons are controlled with files from /etc/skel, but what do
> I need to do to set this up.

Now I'm really messed up.  Turns out the Computer icon won't remove with the "Remove
icons from all user's desktops".  When I drop the icon on it I just get the message
"Drag-and-drop a file......" basically the same message I get when I double click the
icon.  Can Computer not be removed from the Gnome Desktop?

And I have 2 icons that are actually links to other folders, one icon called "Drop" that
links to /home/Drop and another called "Public" that links to /home/Public.  I drop them
on the "Push icons to all user's desktops" and nothing happens.  Can links not be pushed?

help!

Jim