Re: [K12OSN] Me again :-) how do I globally remove icons from the desktop

Jim Kronebusch wrote:
On Fri, 16 Mar 2007 10:26:27 -0600, Jim Kronebusch wrote
I want to run a command to globally remove the "Computer" icon from all users desktops
to simplify things. How do I do that? Also I need to set the new default as well for this so that new users only get the icons I want them to. I imagine new users default icons are controlled with files from /etc/skel, but what do I need to do to set this up.

Now I'm really messed up.  Turns out the Computer icon won't remove with the "Remove
icons from all user's desktops".  When I drop the icon on it I just get the message
"Drag-and-drop a file......" basically the same message I get when I double click the
icon.  Can Computer not be removed from the Gnome Desktop?

And I have 2 icons that are actually links to other folders, one icon called "Drop" that
links to /home/Drop and another called "Public" that links to /home/Public.  I drop them
on the "Push icons to all user's desktops" and nothing happens.  Can links not be pushed?

help!

Jim

For links on users' desktops, I have a script in /etc/profile.d/ that checks for the link on the user's desktop, and if it doesn't exist, creates it. Stuff in /etc/profile.d/ gets run during every login so this makes sure the user has the link even if he/she drags it to the trash or deletes it; next login the icon and link will reappear. Here's my script, which puts a symlink in the user's $HOME and $HOME/Desktop:

#!/bin/bash

# check for symlink called classroom in user's ~/Desktop/ directory to
# /home/classroom directory, and if it doesn't exist, create it.
# /home/classroom should have g+rws permissions, and all users should
# be members of the group, so that all students can write to
# /home/classroom.

[ ! -L $HOME/Desktop/classroom ] && ln -s /home/classroom ${HOME}/Desktop/classroom
[ ! -L $HOME/classroom ] && ln -s /home/classroom ${HOME}/classroom

Petre