From: peter scheie homedns org
To: k12osn redhat com
Subject: Re: [K12OSN] PXE Files missing in Version 6
Sent: Saturday, March 17, 2007 5:34:39 PM EDT

I'm not sure what went wrong during your installation of 6, but you should not be having those problems. I've got two version 6 boxes, and PXE boot clients work right out of the box, as do etherboot clients. When you install ver. 6, are you wiping the disk and doing a clean install?

Petre

Ronnie Miller wrote:
> I'm a newbie to Linux and the K12LTSP having only built a couple of > machines (Linux) to see what it's about and now I've built my first > K12LTSP server and set it up for a local church. > > The problem I ran into is that when I heard that Ver 6 was out, I > downloaded the cd's, blew away the Ver 5 server I was building for the > church and installed Ver 6. Everything went fine until I tried to boot > up my terminals. The terminals I'm using are older celeron 700 mhz pc's > with 256 mg ram that I took the hard drives out of and booted via PXE. > They worked just fine under Ver 5, but would not boot on 6. I got an > error message along the lines of "pxe boot image not found". > > When I got to looking at the Ver 6 server, there was a PXE folder in the > tftboot folder, but there were no files. The "bootrom" folder appeared > OK, but the PXE was basically blank. > > I finally (out of frustration) rebuilt the server with 5, copied the PXE > files onto a cd, rebuilt it again with 6 and copied the PXE files into > the tftboot folder. When I did this, the pc's would boot fine. > > I also ran into a problem when I did "software updates". It downloaded > and installed a lot of updates. When I did that, DHCP quit working. So, > I rebuilt it one more time with Ver 6 and PXE files from Ver 5. > > I have now delivered and set it up and it appears to be working, but > what is the deal with the missing PXE files and the updates? We're > exploring the possibility of using K12LTSP in our school system, but I > was hoping for less issues than this. Can anyone give me a clue? > > > ------------------------------------------------------------------------
For more info see