Re: [K12OSN] Recommendation Needed

I have a Cisco Catalyst 3500 switch; it's a 24-porter.  Those switches have two GBIC (Giga-Bit Interface Connector) ports in them, and those ports take either fiber Gig-E or copper Gig-E.  I happen to use fiber, but copper works just fine, too.

BTW, those Cat 3500's make *great* switches for LTSP.  And yes, you DEFINITELY want Gig-E on your server!

--TP
Do you GNU!?

Pete Horm wrote:
Hi everyone,
I am trying to decide what is the best route  to take with the switch that I am going to connect the server and clients to.  From reading many of the posts, gigabit is recommended for the server.  I unfortunately don't have any gigabit switches.  I do have a cisco 3500 spare switch.  In looking for cheap gig switches, there are a few for around 300.00, but they are low end stuff.  I might be able to scrape a few coins together to buy one of these for the school district with what is left in the budget. In your experience, which way would you recommend?  Thanks so much!

pete