[K12OSN] Recommendation Needed

Les Mikesell les at futuresource.com
Mon Mar 19 16:49:07 UTC 2007

Pete Horm wrote:
> Hi everyone,
> I am trying to decide what is the best route  to take with the switch
> that I am going to connect the server and clients to.  From reading many
> of the posts, gigabit is recommended for the server.  I unfortunately
> don't have any gigabit switches.  I do have a cisco 3500 spare switch.
> In looking for cheap gig switches, there are a few for around 300.00,
> but they are low end stuff.  I might be able to scrape a few coins
> together to buy one of these for the school district with what is left
> in the budget. In your experience, which way would you recommend?

You should be able to get a 1000BT GBIC for the uplink from the server
to your 3500 which will work fine but it wouldn't surprise me if you
could find a whole switch of some other brand for what it will cost.

Switches are pretty much commodity items unless you need some of the new
voice QOS functions, especially if these will be isolated on the 2nd NIC
of the server.

--
   Les Mikesell
    les at futuresource.com