[K12OSN] 100Mbit switch vs. 100Mbit hub

Rob Owens rowens at ptd.net
Mon Mar 19 21:06:51 UTC 2007

I've been on this list long enough that I've heard "use a switch, not a
hub" about a hundred times.  But I have a question about the reasoning:

The server has the most traffic going to/from it.  So if you were using
a switch, the server port of the switch would be saturated first--as
soon as 100Mbit/sec is going to/from the server.  If
you instead used a hub, the only difference I see is that *all* of the
ports would saturate at the same time--as soon as 100Mbit/sec is going
to/from the server.

Since there is no traffic going from one terminal
to another, it seems like a 100Mbit/sec hub would become a bottleneck at
the same time that a 100Mbit/sec switch would.  What am I missing?

-Rob