Re: [K12OSN] 100Mbit switch vs. 100Mbit hub

On heavy traffic, the server talk a lot....

But:

There communication from the client to the server as well...
Imagine that all your 20 client ask 1 questions to the servers...
You are (with a Hub) saying to them: Wait a second to the first....
Wait 2 second to the other one... and then wait 3,4,5,...
And, 1 second latter, the first one try again... you're again telling him wait
a second....
1 Second latter, you have both 1 and 2 asking you... Since there are 2 at
the same time, collision appear... And they will try again a bit latter....

With a switch... You said nothing to them... you just take the packet in, wait
for the server to listen... and send it to the server (queuing)

Much more efficient... (as in classroom, the first to ask, the first to answers the second one wait until the first have finish his question, than the third one...)

So has the server on it side.... It will send data as much as he can... but the switch
will wait until he as finished talking to ask him something new...

Slowing down the fill by queuing is more efficient than making all of them talking as
the same time...
(As for car jame... better slowing down speed and be regular than going fast on 30 feet
then stop)

----- Original Message ----- From: "Rob Owens" <rowens ptd net>