Re: [K12OSN] LTSP Audio

No, this is sound in general - have not tried to tackle Flash until the system sound is stable. I can sometimes restart the sound (even though the artsd daemon is already running) by going to (in KDE) Control Center > Sound & Multimedia > Sound System then disabling/ applying/re-enabling the Sound System then power-cycling the thin client. Then I log in, get the KDE intro music and all other system sounds. I even get audio from the Windows server when I log into it via rdesktop. Log into a different thin client, works fine. Log out, log back in, nothing. No system sounds, no Windows sound, and nothing changed to the Sound Server. I'm using KDE because the kiosk tool allows for good profile and security management (Sabayon on Gnome continuously crashed on me), however if Gnome has better sound support I will change them over to that and find another profile management tool. Thanks for everyone's help.

Message: 3
Date: Tue, 20 Mar 2007 08:59:18 -0400
From: "David Hopkins" <dahopkins429 gmail com>
Subject: Re: [K12OSN] LTSP Audio
To: "Support list for open source software in schools."
	<k12osn redhat com>

Is this the issue with the /tmp/.esd/socket file being deleted which causes
sound in flash to stop?  Flash requires that /tmp/.esd/socket exist.

Sincerely,
Dave Hopkins

On 3/20/07, Michael Paric <mparic compbizsolutions com> wrote:

I have set up a continuation high school with a K12LTSP v5 network (50 clients, 1 PDC for /homes and LDAP auth server, 2 thin client application servers using KDE), and all is pretty stable except for audio. Audio *does* work (even when using Remote Desktop from Linux thin client to run Windows apps on W2K3 server), however after a couple hours it just stops. No errors, nothing in the logs and the sound server is still running (sound server can be restarted with no errors). Loaded the latest LTSP 4.2 Alsa/ESD sound drivers, but problem persists. As I said, I have had the sound working, but
it stops and is inconsistent (rebooting servers does not help). Any
information "beyond the basics" to get the audio stable and consistent?