[K12OSN] Full system file access from terminals??

Les Mikesell les at futuresource.com
Tue Mar 20 22:36:20 UTC 2007

xmechanic wrote:
> Hi,
> I run a small computer service that services a local K-12 school
> district and I've been experimenting with K12OS with the hopes of making
> a valid presentation to the school to get them interested in moving to a
> thin client type environment.  I first downloaded version 6.0 and
> installed it on a test machine here with dual NICs, and no matter how I
> configured it, I could never get my client(s) to boot. The server would
> hand off the IP address to the terminal from DHCP, and then it would
> hang while trying to load the kernel. I checked my /etc/dhcpd.conf,
> ltsp.conf, /etc/exports, and everything else I could think of, to no
> avail. I finally started checking forums and found that several people
> have had client boot problems with 6.0. So I downloaded and installed
> Ver. 5.0 and copied over the sample /etc/dhcpd.conf file and voila! The
> terminal(s) boot perfectly. Now for problem "B". It seems the terminal
> users have access to the servers complete file system! According to my
> /etc/exports file, this shouldn't be so. I think somehow the terminal is
> /opt/ltsp/i386. What tipped me off was the fact that when I log off a
> user on the terminal, I get an x-server error on the server screen and
> have to hit Ctrl-alt-F7 to get my screen back. Anyone have any ideas? I
> really like this system now that the terminals actually boot from it. A
> 733mhz. Dell desktop with 256mb of RAM takes about 35 seconds to go from
> power off to a login screen and another 12 seconds to the desktop. That
> would certainly be quicker with a real boot ROM instead of a boot
> floppy. If I can get the exports thing worked out and get it to boot
> from the correct filesystem, I'll be a happy camper. Any and all input
> greatly appreciated.  I've been about 4 days on this now and I'm running
> out of ideas. :-p

I think you've missed the 'thin' terminal concept entirely.  The only
thing running on them is an X session for the screen and keyboard.  The
window manager/desktop and all applications run on the server, sharing
the fast server CPU and file system.  You aren't just booting from the
server - everything runs there.

--
   Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell at gmail.com