[K12OSN] TeacherTool and dhcpd load balancing.

Jim Kronebusch jim at winonacotter.org
Wed Mar 21 14:43:48 UTC 2007

On Tue, 20 Mar 2007 22:18:57 -0700, Robert Arkiletian wrote
> On 3/20/07, Krsnendu dasa <krsnendu108 at gmail.com> wrote:
> > I have successfully set up dhcpd load balancing. Now when I run
> > TeacherTool I can only see the students logged into the same server as
> > me. Is there a way to see all users that are logged on including
> > students on the other ltsp server?
>
> Currently what others in your situation are doing is running FreeNX on
> one server and connecting to it from the other server. So you launch
> two instances of fl-teachertool in separate windows. It's not the best
> solution but it works for now.

If all users booted from the same boot server, but pulled apps from different app
servers, would TeacherTool still pick up all users and all processes?  I am guessing
that TeacherTool only picks up processes show as running on the server it is running from?

How does TeacherTool find users and processes?  Say you had 3 servers in your load
balance cluster.  Could an ssh tunnel be setup in all directions from server to server
so that no matter which server you ran your teacher tool from you could get a list of
logged in users and running apps from another server?

Just thinking that maybe if the processes that are probed by TeacherTool can be tunneled
over ssh maybe it could all be tied together.