[K12OSN] Re: K12OSN Digest, Vol 37, Issue 43

Re: [K12OSN] Full system file access from terminals??
From:
Peter Scheie <peter scheie homedns org>
Date:
Tue, 20 Mar 2007 17:57:30 -0500
To:
"Support list for open source software in schools." <k12osn redhat com>
To:
"Support list for open source software in schools." <k12osn redhat com>

xmechanic wrote:
<snip!>

Not sure why version 6 wouldn't work when version 5 does.  Did you try turning off selinux?  That has caused problems in the past.

As for the users having access to the full file system on the server, that is the way it's supposed to work; it is not a chrooted environment that the users log into.  A kernel and an X server are loaded on the client, but then pointed at the display manager, gdm by default, on the server via xdmcp.  So, users are logging into the server similar to if they were telnetting or ssh-ing in, except with a graphical interface. Once logged in, users are 'on' the server.

Petre

Petre.. and the others,
Thank you for your replys.  The way the file system was laid out, I was under the impression that the users would be chrooted into the /opt/ltsp/i386 directory. I'm still a little hazy on the concept of why a terminal user would be able to move to directorys above /opt/ltsp/i386, since that's the only directory that's 'exported', besides the r/o fonts directorys in /usr/** & the swap files Also, in the issue with version 6.0 not working, I tried disabling SElinux and when I did, it evidently broke something, because the system then took like 15 minutes to boot after that. I know files need to be relabeled on reboot, but this was every reboot thereafter, so I finally sidelined it and eventually re-installed the system with Ver. 5.0.  I would still like to know if there is an easy way to chroot a user to his/her directory, yet still be able to access all programs, etc. Thanks again for your help!

Dave Land
Land Computer Service