Re: [K12OSN] Full system file access from terminals??

On Wed, 2007-03-21 at 11:16 -0700, xmechanic wrote:
>  I'm still a little hazy on the concept of why a terminal user would
> be able to move to directorys above /opt/ltsp/i386, since that's the
> only directory that's 'exported',

Think of it this way.  The /opt/ltsp/i386 directory contains code that
executes on the client.  It is a basic bootloader and video driver.  You
can think of the login as a multi-threaded telnet session.

The other shares in your /etc/exports file are for files common to all
clients.  Things like fonts etc..

You can have a client that boots off it's own hard drive to bring up the
graphical interface without using LTSP.  That is how it has been done
for years.  No exports are required. Believe it or not this is actually
a slower process.