[K12OSN] rdesktop and windows terminal sound

Ernie Hudson ernie_hudson at snowline.k12.ca.us
Wed Mar 21 21:36:38 UTC 2007

Thanks to Michael [mparic at compbizsolutions.com] The rdesktop sound issue was
solved This is what he sent.

Ernie,

Yes, you can as I'm doing that at a High School to run Larson Algebra from a
Windows 2003 Server that connects to the Linux Domain Controller via Samba
and LDAP. To make it simpler for the students and more secure for the
school, I created an Application Launcher desktop icon that starts rdesktop
and runs just the program (no Windows desktop). For security reasons I have
the students enter their username and password to access the Windows server
(it's the same as their Linux log in as it's stored in an LDAP directory).
When they close the Windows program they are automatically logged out of the
Windows server and rdesktop. Sound works great as long as sound is working
on the thin clients (see my other posts for issues I'm running into with
KDE).

Here's the command line I use for the launcher:

esddsp rdesktop -r sound:local -d DomainName -f -s "C:\PathToProgram"

ServerIPAddress

The -r switch redirects the sound to the thin client, the -d is your
Samba/Windows Domain Name, -f forces full-screen, -s starts the specified
program and I connect to the Windows server via IP address as it's the most
consistent.

It does work. I have tested it on k12 v.6 and edubuntu 6.10. Worked well
form both. This is how I changed the command

esddsp rdesktop -r sound:local -f ServerIPAddress

Ernie Hudson

CLS 3 Serrano High School

760-868-3222  ext 2687

You can tell the size of your God by

looking at the size of your worry list.

The longer your list, the smaller your God."--Author Unknown