Re: [K12OSN] K12LSTP 7

Fedora and RHEL/CentOS are *not* interchangeable in this way.  You don't try "upgrading" Fedora to RHEL or CentOS without totally breaking your operating system.  It's like trying to upgrade Windows 95 to Windows XP; you're looking at a total reinstall.

Just want to make that clear so you don't blow up your OS unnecessarily.

The upgrade path from RHEL/CentOS is from version 4.x to version 5.  The upgrade path from Fedora is from version 5 to version 6.  You could also go to version 7 when it comes out.

Now, Fedora is on a totally different release schedule from RHEL/CentOS.  A new version of RHEL/CentOS comes out approximately every two years, but each release is supported for bugfixes (but not typically any new features) for seven years.  That means that you can reasonably get away with upgrading your servers every, say, four or five years (your users will want new features eventually).  That means that my K12LTSP server running CentOS 4 (released in early 2005) will have bugfixes until the year 2012.  Red Hat does say that it's possible to do an "upgrade" from one major release to the next one, but that it's not recommended.  They (and most of us here) recommend a fresh install.  The nice thing about a LTSP architecture is that you don't need to do this on the 30 workstations in your computer lab.  You only need to touch one server.

Fedora releases, by contrast, come every six to nine months.  They are quite bleeding-edge.  They are also supported with bugfixes and security updates for, on average, a little over a year.  That means that you're upgrading approximately once a year.  It is no more recommended to try to "upgrade" a Fedora release without reinstalling than it is RHEL/CentOS.  A fresh install is best.  It's more frequent than RHEL/CentOS, but it still beats installing Windows XP/Vista/Whatever on 30 boxes, Ghost or no.

This is, BTW, why I *ALWAYS* keep /home on a separate partition.  *ALWAYS*.  This way, I can go from, say, Ubuntu Breezy Badger to, say, CentOS 4 or Slackware 11.  Obviously, this scenario would require a fresh install.  :-)  But, since /home is on a separate partition, I can blow away Ubuntu Breezy totally, install CentOS/Slackware/Debian/Ubuntu Edgy/Whatever (remembering not to format /home!), and be back in business without losing any user data.  In short, if you partition this way, you can relatively easily even hop distros when it's time to upgrade.

--TP
_______________________________
Do you GNU!?

Mel Wade wrote:
So what is the major version upgrade path for the EL version vs the Fedora version?

Mel

On 3/21/07, Les Mikesell < les futuresource com> wrote:
Mel Wade wrote:
> Thanks.  So if I understand this correctly, I can install this version
> today
> and when 5 is released I can do a yum update and I will then have
> version 5?

It might be possible but wouldn't be advised.  A lot changes between
major versions.  If you wait for the 5.xEL beta there's a pretty good
chance that a 'yum update' will take it up to the release version though.

--
   Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell gmail com

Mel Wade