Subject: Re: [K12OSN] Future LTSP direction: Local Apps

"The only down side is power consumption as compared to real thin
clients."

I think there are other downsides:
Still it is a neat solution if you are going to do lots of multimedia or heavy CPU load. I would only use it in a multimedia development lab. All of my classroom and lab experiences with the curriculums I have do not need it. I think most of the downsides would be mitigated with a slightly more powerful processor and Multi-seat X. Then, the power is averaged over 5-10 users.

One upside not listed is that the server becomes a straight file server so it might be able to service more clients this way.

I still think straight LTSP is the best solution in most cases. I could see one such client per classroom and possibly a bunch in a multimedia lab.

Robert Pogson
--
A problem is an opportunity.