[K12OSN] reinstalling gnome after server upgrade

Peter Scheie peter at scheie.homedns.org
Mon Mar 26 16:53:03 UTC 2007

IIRC, I had a 4.x server with a separate /home partition.  I installed 5.0 on a separate
server, and just mounted /home from the 4.x box.  It didn't go well.  Something with
Gnome and its various hidden files in ~/ didn't work well under the 5.0 box; I think I
got things like missing icons, missing menu items, erratic behavior, etc.  I ended up
just moving user files from the old server to the new, exploiting tar's tendency to
ignore hidden dot files, e.g., .gnome.

Petre