[K12OSN] Re: K12OSN Digest, Vol 37, Issue 53

xmechanic xmechanic at gilanet.com
Tue Mar 27 17:44:44 UTC 2007

> Subject:
> [K12OSN] PXE boot Dell GX110--was compaq deskpros
> From:
> Peter Scheie <peter at scheie.homedns.org>
> Date:
> Mon, 26 Mar 2007 15:23:31 -0600
> To:
> "Support list for open source software in schools." <k12osn at redhat.com>
>
> To:
> "Support list for open source software in schools." <k12osn at redhat.com>
>

> Aha!  It IS possible to PXE boot the Dell gx110.  But it's pretty well
> hidden.  In the BIOS, under the 'Boot Sequence', it normally only
> shows three choices: CD, floppy, & hard drive.  In the main BIOS
> screen, you must scroll down to 'Integrated Devices', and within that,
> you'll see, among others, 'Network Interface Controller', which is set
> to On by default.  But this is not just a binary, on or off option;
> rather, it also contains the choice of 'On w/MBA'.  Choose this, save
> the changes, reboot the box, go into the BIOS setup again, and now
> 'Boot Sequence' will list 'MBA UNDI(Bus1 Slot12)' which is the PXE
> boot option.  Set that option to be the first choice, and voila! the
> box PXE boots.  Hopefully, this info will be useful to someone.
>
> Petre

Petre,
Thanks for this info. I have a GX-110 here and I thought it was doomed
to having to use an Etherboot floppy forever. I set up the BIOS like you
mentioned and it booted immediately, Yaaay!! This might be a good Wiki
entry actually, since it seems there are still a lot of these machines
floating around. ;-)

Dave Land
Land Computer Service

--
The day Micro$oft makes a product that doesn't suck, is the day they start making vacuum cleaners :-)