[K12OSN] Re: K12OSN Digest, Vol 37, Issue 53

Subject:
[K12OSN] PXE boot Dell GX110--was compaq deskpros
From:
Peter Scheie <peter scheie homedns org>
Date:
Mon, 26 Mar 2007 15:23:31 -0600
To:
"Support list for open source software in schools." <k12osn redhat com>

To:
"Support list for open source software in schools." <k12osn redhat com>

Aha! It IS possible to PXE boot the Dell gx110. But it's pretty well hidden. In the BIOS, under the 'Boot Sequence', it normally only shows three choices: CD, floppy, & hard drive. In the main BIOS screen, you must scroll down to 'Integrated Devices', and within that, you'll see, among others, 'Network Interface Controller', which is set to On by default. But this is not just a binary, on or off option; rather, it also contains the choice of 'On w/MBA'. Choose this, save the changes, reboot the box, go into the BIOS setup again, and now 'Boot Sequence' will list 'MBA UNDI(Bus1 Slot12)' which is the PXE boot option. Set that option to be the first choice, and voila! the box PXE boots. Hopefully, this info will be useful to someone.

Petre

Petre,
Thanks for this info. I have a GX-110 here and I thought it was doomed to having to use an Etherboot floppy forever. I set up the BIOS like you mentioned and it booted immediately, Yaaay!! This might be a good Wiki entry actually, since it seems there are still a lot of these machines floating around. ;-)

Dave Land
Land Computer Service

--
The day Micro$oft makes a product that doesn't suck, is the day they start making vacuum cleaners :-)