Re: [K12OSN] Filtering OT

If you know the IP, then why not just drop packets incoming from that
IP at the firewall??
Dan

On 3/28/07, Mel Wade <mel melwade com> wrote:
Our challenge is that we have a mixed enviornment.

Also, proxify.com has quite a number of other domain names that point to
their site.  That is why I chose to look for an IP based solution.

On 3/27/07, Doug Simpson <veewee77 alltel net> wrote:

> This is kind of a lame way to do this but is highly effective. . .
>
> Assuming that you are running LTSP and etc. . .
>
> Edit /etc/hosts and add lines like:
>
> 127.0.0.1  www.proxify.com
> 127.0.0.1 proxify.com
>
> If your server is set up correctly, the first place the terminals will
look is the /etc/hosts file.

> Once it finds the site, it is satisfied.  Since it points to the
localhost, you will see the main page of whatever site you have running on
that host.
> If you have a separate server that has a "denied access" page on it, you
can give that IP address and the user will get that page instead. . .

> Works for me. . . takes a bit of time adding the denied sites, but it is
highly effective from terminals.

> Doug
>

> Mel Wade wrote:
>
> I'm looking for a way to successfully block https://www.proxify.com   Any
ideas?

> --
> Mel Wade
> "The real problem is not whether machines think but whether men do." - BF
Skinner