[K12OSN] nfs mount /home and firewall/SELinux

"Terrell Prudé Jr." microman at cmosnetworks.com
Thu Mar 29 13:44:24 UTC 2007

That's a bit of a challenge, because of the way NFS works.  There's a
RPC connection on (I believe TCP) port 111, the sunrpc port.  Then, from
there, the client and server can negotiate any UDP port above 2048 for
NFS.  Now, in practice that usually turns out to be UDP port 2049, but
it does not have to be, and I've seen other UDP ports used.

That's what makes NFS a challenge to firewall.  It's also one reason (no
encryption is another) why you should never run NFS on a network that
you don't trust, i. e. across the Internet.  It's like SMB/CIFS in this
way.  The real issue here isn't firewalling; it's sniffing.  Most of us
don't use either SELinux or the built-in firewall on the LTSP servers
themselves.  Any particular reason you need to do this?

--TP
Do you GNU!?
Microsoft Free since 2003 <http://www.gnu.org/>--the ultimate antivirus
protection!