[K12OSN] Intel PXE 0.99b ltsp booting

Vince Callaway vince at totalsense.com
Sat Mar 31 13:24:15 UTC 2007

I picked up some old intel nic's off ebay.  I wanted to see if the built
in pxe would ltsp boot.

The cards have the 0.99b version of pxe.  From what I understand they
are pretty common cards.  They are also cheap.  I bought a lot of 5 and
with shipping was $8.98 total.  That's less than $2 each.

The good news is they work.  A couple of minor changes are needed to the
server.

In /etc/xinted.d/tftp

Change the line that reads:
server_args             = -s /tftpboot

to:
server_args             = -s /tftpboot -r blksize

In the file /etc/sysctl.conf
Add this line:
net.ipv4.ip_no_pmtu_disc = 1

For those wanting to get away from floppy booting this solution will
work.  Just don't everyone hit ebay at once and drive the price up :)

Also, make sure you don't get the cards that have a boot prom socket.
Those obviously don't have pxe built in.