Re: [K12OSN] Intel PXE 0.99b ltsp booting

Vince,

Intel has updated firmware for alot of their cards on their website.

It's pretty simple to update, but you do need to boot under DOS to do it.

That should give you the ability to use the longer blksize for tftpd, which '-r blksize' disables. The end result will be a slightly faster download of the kernel and initramfs.

It's also possible to replace the PXE code with Etherboot. Those who use non-standard dhcp ports might like to do that. The Etherboot docs explain how to flash the Intel nics with the Etherboot code.

Jim McQuillan
jam Ltsp org

Vince Callaway wrote:
I picked up some old intel nic's off ebay.  I wanted to see if the built
in pxe would ltsp boot.

The cards have the 0.99b version of pxe.  From what I understand they
are pretty common cards.  They are also cheap.  I bought a lot of 5 and
with shipping was $8.98 total.  That's less than $2 each.

The good news is they work.  A couple of minor changes are needed to the
server.

In /etc/xinted.d/tftp

Change the line that reads:
server_args             = -s /tftpboot

to:
server_args             = -s /tftpboot -r blksize

In the file /etc/sysctl.conf
Add this line:
net.ipv4.ip_no_pmtu_disc = 1

For those wanting to get away from floppy booting this solution will
work.  Just don't everyone hit ebay at once and drive the price up :)

Also, make sure you don't get the cards that have a boot prom socket.
Those obviously don't have pxe built in.