[K12OSN] Firefox crashes

Jim McQuillan jam at mcquil.com
Thu May 3 14:08:48 UTC 2007

Michael Blinn wrote:
> I start the machine with the i810 xserver and no 'videoram' directive. At the login screen, I switch to vt2, run free, and I get the following:
>
> Mem total:  254980   used: 42812   free: 212168
>
> So, I put 207195 (212168/1024) in the X_VIDEORAM line. (It doesn't like the M). Now, when loading pages such as overstock or amazon, where there are lots of images, I get a full-on xserver crash and the terminal is locked, showing the "press <enter> to continue" message at the console screen, though pressing enter has no effect.

I'm wondering why you are using the size of your system ram, to
determine how much memory your video card has.  They really aren't related.

The 'videoram' setting is normally not needed.  the Xserver is supposed
to be able to figure it out automatically, by probing the card BUT,
sometimes, with some chipsets, it fails.  In those cases, we need to
tell it how much ram to use.  In most of those cases, telling it 4mb or
8mb is about all you need to do.

Sometimes, you can see how much ram is used for video by looking in the
bios configuration tool.

A typical setting would be:

     X_VIDEORAM = 8192
     X_VIDEORAM = 4096
     X_VIDEORAM = 3072

Try one of those settings to see if it helps.

Jim McQuillan
jam at Ltsp.org