[K12OSN] re: smbldap CreatingLDAPClients & smbldap slow login (P Nakashima)

Matt Oquist moquist at majen.net
Thu May 3 15:43:36 UTC 2007

> From: P Nakashima <pnakashi at yahoo.com>
> Subject: [K12OSN] smbldap CreatingLDAPClients

>  http://www.vcsvikings.org/docuwiki/cgi-bin/moin.cgi/CreatingLDAPClients
>  with the latest version of the installer
>  My first question is, how do you make sure the 'portmap' service is installed and running in Ubuntu?

I've just updated the wiki page. The short answer is:

$ sudo apt-get install portmap
$ sudo /etc/init.d/portmap restart

>  I can login successfully. The user's smbldap desktop appears, but with a blank tool bar. I can open an OO.o document that's on the desktop, but can't access anything from the tool bar. We don't have any problems with our thin clients using the smbldap server, just the fat ones.

Do you know for sure that /home is mounted? Can you log in as the
local admin and 'su - otheruser' in a terminal to become another user,
and then see that user's files in her home directory?

> From: P Nakashima <pnakashi at yahoo.com>
> Subject: [K12OSN] smbldap slow login
> We've been running a smbldap server (volunteer installed) for
> several months without too much trouble. In the past few weeks, the
> time it takes for a user to login and see a desktop has increased
> steadily. I'm new to both Linux and smbldap. Any ideas as to where
> I should start looking?

If you type CTRL+ALT+F1 and log in as an LDAP user there, how fast is
it? If that's faster, I suggest that your desktop (Gnome?) is
accessing the filesystem heavily and you have slow NFS. Make sure you
have 'portmap' and 'nfs-common' installed, and that portmap is
running, and see if that helps.

Good luck!

--matt

--
Open Source Software Engineering Consultant
http://majen.net/