[K12OSN] Data Storage - Redundancy and Backup Suggestions

Daniel Bodanske daengbo at gmail.com
Fri May 4 07:41:46 UTC 2007

>From the size of your enrollment, I'm going to guess that your budget
is limited. Hardware raid is significantly more expensive than
software raid and the less expensive hardware raid systems are simply
software raid on a chip. Hardware raid does offer you simple swapping
and rebuilding, though I understand that SATA solves this problem in
some cases.

Get a SATA card aind out about software raid on Linux here:
http://www.linux.com/howtos/Software-RAID-HOWTO.shtml

You are specifically interested in section 6 on monitoring. mdadm can
mail you automatically when errors start.

Good luck,

Dan