[K12OSN] Re: K12LTSP

Tom Wolfe twolfe at sawback.com
Tue May 8 15:59:27 UTC 2007

Sorry for the delay, busy with the birth of my new little girl.

The server I've got going right now is a little over the top in
comparison with Rob's:

Dual Core 2212HE Processor; 2X1MB Cache, 2.0GHz Opteron, 1Ghz HyperTransport
Dual Core Opteron 2nd Processor, 2x1MB Cache, 2.0GHz1Ghz HyperTransport
8GB Memory, 4x2GB, 667MHz Dual Ranked DIMMs
RAID-1 2 x 160GB, SATA, 3.5-inch 7.2K RPM Hard Drive
SAS 5IR SAS, PCI-Express Internal RAID Adapter

...and it cost about $3800 CDN. BUT, right now it's powering 45
workstations and I'm hoping to get 40 more going (which might require even
more RAM if they are all going to be firing at once). Maybe a little
overoptimistic. But...  even at 45 I feel I have my money's worth. "One
server to rule them all...." it sure makes administration easy. Linking
them all I have a 1 Gig 8-port network card that is utilizing existing
Cat-5e cable to the four labs it's running. At each lab I have either a 5-
or 8-port Gig switch (<$100 CDN) or a larger switch (24 port) with 2 1-Gig
ports so that the labs are serviced by 1 Gig, but each workstation only
gets 100 Mbps max.

So far so good. One teacher here is totally stoked, literally giddy with
excitement. He's the one that pushed me to get the Flash With Sound going.
And now he wants to add all of his spelling words to Childsplay! (any
takers on explaining how to do that one by the way?)

Regards,
Tom Wolfe