[K12OSN] Just about ready to make a purchase

Robert Arkiletian robark at gmail.com
Tue May 8 22:12:35 UTC 2007

On 5/8/07, Jim Kronebusch <jim at winonacotter.org> wrote:
> > I would seriously consider K12LTSP 5.0EL (which uses LTSP 4.2) based
> > on Centos/RHEL 5 for this setup. Support lifetime and
> > reliability/support for server grade hardware.
>
> I have been going back and forth on this one.  I really like the pre-bundled out of the
> box nature of K12LTSP and the 5.0EL edition gives me the 64-bit support.  But I have
> really gotten used to the extremely large software repository of Ubuntu.  Does
> fl_teachertool work under other distros such as Ubuntu+LTSP 4.2?  If not that would be
> the deciding factor to stick with the packaged K12LSTP.  I will most likely build the
> server both ways if I am still undecided and test, then make a final decision.  I will
> have a month or so for testing before going live.

Yes fl-tt should work with Ubuntu + ltsp 4.2 (not ltsp 5 using LDM).
People have told me that they got it working. However, it's a bit of a
pain to get things working properly. There are some differences
between Debian based distros and Redhat. Plus the custom packages that
Eric bundles for fl-tt out of the box.

--
Robert Arkiletian