[K12OSN] Centos5 hangs at System Message Bus

Brian Chivers brian at portsmouth-college.ac.uk
Wed May 9 10:24:05 UTC 2007

I've setup a CentOS 5 box with LDAP & Samba using the config files that I've been using on all my
other boxes (Mix of FC3, CentOS4 and Suse) and it all seemed to be working until I rebooted.

When I reboot it hangs for about ten minutes at Starting System Message Bus but eventually starts
up. Looking /var/log/messages it would appear that it's trying to bind to the ldap server but
looking in /etc/rc.d/rc3.d system message bus starts BEFORE ldap, can I just move LDAP up to start
earlier ??

Luckily this box isn't in use yet because with all my fiddling I've locked myself out so I'm going
to start from scratch and test the notes I made last time and fine tune them whilst hopefully fixing
this error.

I've had a look on the web and this seems to be a problem with FC6 as well but couldn't seem to find
a solution that keeps ldap working for retrieval of groups & users.

Ideas would be gratefully received :-)

Brian Chivers
Portsmouth College