[K12OSN] Just about ready to make a purchase

James P. Kinney III jkinney at localnetsolutions.com
Wed May 9 15:09:54 UTC 2007

On Tue, 2007-05-08 at 16:11 -0500, Jim Kronebusch wrote:

> Another thought about NICs, 2 of the GB NIC's are actually onboard and the other 2 are a
> PCIx dual port card.  So only 2 GB ports would be on the PCIx bus, would that help
> alleviate the PCIx bottleneck?
The onboard NICs are also on a PCIx bus. You will need to double-check
the system docs and see if they are on a second bus or not.

> Also a note the comment in an earlier post about splitting the mirrors onto separate
> controller interfaces, it looks like for an extra $300 I can split the backplane into
> 2x5 hotplug backplanes.  I will contact Dell to see if this would allow me to spread my
> RAID array across both on separate interfaces.

GOOD IDEA!!  Mirrored RAID 5 (3x2) is a good marriage of reliability and
redundancy. A mirror of stripes (RAID 10) is best for speed but suffers
from instant death if both mirrors loose drive A (or B or C, etc) before
the mirror can rebuild.