[K12OSN] Just about ready to make a purchase

James P. Kinney III jkinney at localnetsolutions.com
Wed May 9 15:21:34 UTC 2007

On Tue, 2007-05-08 at 13:55 -0500, Jim Kronebusch wrote:
> On Tue, 08 May 2007 11:18:44 -0700, Huck wrote
> > 90 machines all concurrently logged in?? My personal experience screams
> > slow...but I hope that's not the case for you...(network bottlenecks,
> > not server)
>
> I am hoping to alleviate the network bottlenecks with the four gigabit load balanced
> NICs.  Each lab will be fed with a dedicated gigabit connection, some with multiple
> connections all leading back to the primary gigibit switch.  So there will be a
> dedicated gig to every 30 machines or less.  Do others think this will still bottleneck?

A 1Gb line can handle about 70 concurrent connections unless someone is
doing streaming video. Then all bets are off as to what collapses first,
the line or the server.

> They won't always be concurrently logged in, but it will be possible so I think I need
> to plan for that.

I did a quad-bonded Gbit connection from the server to a 24 port Gbit
switch. This switch feeds 20 classrooms each with a 24 port Gbit switch.
Each classroom has 4-12 thin clients (at 100Mb). The 24 port switch in
the classroom was overkill (and they are very noisy as they have fans).
I have not seen a network saturation point with this. Note - both dual
NICs are on the same PCIx bus. From the client end, the system is
screaming fast. The server loading is good most of the time. There are
apps that need tuning. The average concurrent client count is 100 per
server.