[K12OSN] OT: CPU/Memory usage with 32-bit apps on 64-bit server

Jim Kronebusch jim at winonacotter.org
Fri May 11 17:02:21 UTC 2007

Me again.  I am having a little trouble understanding exactly how 32-bit apps function
on a 64-bit system.  Say you have a 64-bit system running a 64-bit OS which are able to
fully utilize processing power and RAM, how does the implementation of 32-bit apps
affect performance?  To be more specific if a 32-bit app is running on this system, is
the app limited to accessing only 4GB of RAM, or does it communicate with the OS and the
OS can still make full use of the RAM?  I don't know if my question is making any sense
but if someone could shed some light on what limitations 32-bit apps on a 64-bit system
have I would appreciate it.  I guess I don't really know how many of the standard
educational apps that would come with a 64-bit K12LTSP would be 64-bit or 32-bit.  I
assume that Firefox and OpenOffice are 64-bit, but I am trying to imagine what
limitations I'll run into when calling on a 32-bit application or plugin.  Say I install
Google Earth or KStars, what will those run at?  A little confused as to how to track
this info down.

Thanks,

Jim Kronebusch
Cotter Tech Department