[K12OSN] IPCOP and yum

Tom Wolfe twolfe at sawback.com
Mon May 14 19:41:39 UTC 2007

I've recently discovered something a bit strange about IPCOP and yum.
When attempting anything with yum (e.g. install, update) I was getting
errors like:

http://fedora.gtlib.gatech.edu/pub/fedora.redhat/linux/extras/5/x86_64/repodata/primary.xml.gz:
[Errno 12] Timeout: <urlopen error timed out>
Trying other mirror.
primary.xml.gz            100% |=========================| 512 kB    00:32
http://ftp.uni-bayreuth.de/linux/fedora/linux/extras/5/x86_64/repodata/primary.xml.gz:
[Errno 4] Socket Error: timed out
Trying other mirror.
primary.xml.gz            100% |=========================| 504 kB    00:31

over and over with no progress...

Until I added my K12LTSP server's IP address to the "Unrestricted IP
addresses" list in the proxy settings. I'm running IPCOP with
advproxy, urlfilter, and Copfilter+

Now that it's been added as an unrestricted IP everything works fine (e.g.
with yum install, yum update, etc.)

Anyone else have this and know what's going on? I'm happy it's working
now, but wonder why I have to do this to get it to function.

Regards,
Tom Wolfe