[K12OSN] Scholastic Read 180 stumping me

James P. Kinney III jkinney at localnetsolutions.com
Thu May 17 20:36:15 UTC 2007

I guess your school didn't hear the scathing report on the dearth of
educational applications that schools are buying that "will improve
student scores" blah blah...

The gist of it was "Bah, Humbug. No evidence anywhere that these
EXPENSIVE reading enhancement applications do anything but liberate the
schools of cash that could be spent on something else."

Now for the fun part:

According to the tech docs the blasted application is designed to be run
from a Novell SLES9 (Linux!) server for maximum output. The application
looks like it _should_ be a web app (written using :
· MySQL--the world's most widely used open source database
· JBoss--the leading open source standards-compliant J2EE based
application server
  implemented in 100% pure Java
· JVM (Java Virtual Machine)--a software "execution engine" that runs
Java programs.
  JBoss, which is written in Java, runs within (on top of) a JVM, and
the JVM runs within
  (on top of) an operating system.
· JRE (Java Runtime Environment)--the technology that allows users to
run Java
  applications
· HTTP (Hypertext Transfer Protocol)a protocol used for communication
between client
  machines and a server. Most commonly used by web browsers (Internet
Explorer,
  Firefox, Netscape) to talk to Web servers.
· XML (Extensible Markup Language)--a simple and very flexible data
interchange format

(cut-n-paste from their docs
http://teacher.scholastic.com/products/read180/techsupp/pdfs/R180_Tech_Overview_3_07.pdf)