[K12OSN] fuse problems on 5.0.0EL -- Bug confirmed

Dan Young dyoung at mesd.k12.or.us
Fri May 18 04:02:58 UTC 2007

Rob Owens wrote:
> On Thu, May 17, 2007 at 03:43:09PM -0700, Dan Young wrote:
>> Rob Owens wrote:
>>> I confirmed that this same set of problems exist on a 2nd machine which
>>> is running K12LTSP 5.0.0EL.  So apparently it's not something that I
>>> screwed up--it came that way.
>> RHEL 5 (and thus CentOS5 -> K12LTSP 5EL) ships with FUSE disabled.
>>

> To enable it, I assume I would need to:
>
> 1) make sure fuse is installed (it is)
> 2) "modprobe fuse" to load the module (I get "module not found")
>
> Is there a step I'm missing?

Sorry, I should have been more descriptive. They have the FUSE /kernel
module/ disabled. External kernel modules are, uh, interesting to build,
as I understand it. Probably not for the weak hearted. They need to
match the running kernel, so every time the kernel is updated, you need
to rebuild the module.

I thought I heard that ATrpms is building said kernel module. Google
pointed me to this:

http://atrpms.net/dist/el5/fuse/

CentOS has occasionally built kernels with options turned on that aren't
on in the RHEL kernels (Appletalk comes to mind). Don't know if they'll
do the same for 5.

--
Dan Young <dyoung at mesd.k12.or.us>
Multnomah ESD - Technology Services