[K12OSN] Building a Print server

Burroughs, Henry HBurroughs at HHPREP.ORG
Fri May 18 13:24:42 UTC 2007

Jeremy,

Exactly.  All the printers are over the network.... either jet direct, thin-client run (with or without a monitor), and even off windows XP desktops (I'm stuck with AD, so I use group policy to control the firewalls of all the XP desktops and make it so file/printer sharing is enabled to the print server (sputnik).  The funny thing is those with local windows printers sometimes are being redirected by the login script to the queue on the server and then back to their own printer... which is fine so I can see how much they print. =)  It takes a little while to get the drivers put together to make the CUPS/MS printing work, but once you do that, you never have to install funny MS drivers to the print server so they can be automatically installed on the windows clients.  You do have to run a command called cupsaddsmb whenever you add a new print queue for it to show up in samba, but you just wait 5 minutes then run it, and voila!  You've got printers windows can use easily!

Henry

Date: Thu, 17 May 2007 12:33:11 -0600
From: "Jeremy Schubert" <jeremy.schubert at cssd.ab.ca>
Subject: RE: [K12OSN] Building a Print server
To: "Support list for open source software in schools."
	<k12osn at redhat.com>

Thanks Henry.  I'm assuming that your printers are not directly connected to the servers?  That they're connected to the network by ethernet?  Is that correct?

Thanks,
Jeremy

Jeremy Schubert
Cell: 403-510-2872 Voice: 403-252-7541 (Ext 392) Fax: 403-640-0116 jeremy.schubert at cssd.ab.ca <mailto:jeremy.schubert at cssd.ab.ca>